Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - Don't threaten me with a good time

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Scapeh [PM] Posts: 75 — Threads: 6
Signos: 645
Night Court Medic
Male [He/Him/His]  |  11 [Year 499 Winter]  |  18 hh  |  Hth: 10 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 22  |    Active Magic: N/A & N/A  |    Bonded: Noor (Irish Elk)

G A R E T H

Noor had been right to be concerned about the mare’s knowledge of medicine. Not that Gareth would ever tell him that. Instead, he smiled and nodded. “The right plants have many uses. And no,” he chuckled. “You don’t always have to eat them, either.” It warmed him to see Pangaea relaxing. While her muscles were still coiled tight, ready to leap, he couldn’t blame her. She had lead a very different life from his own, and that instinct and ability to take flight at any moment had kept her alive. It was not something one could simply undo with a few lighthearted conversations. Getting her comfortable in Novus would take time. They would have plenty of it while she was healing, so he was grateful that they were building rapport. 

Though the stallion hadn’t wanted to admit it, he had been worried that she would fight with him on it the entire way. That she would be stubborn, and thorny, and a hard pill to swallow. He knew how it was to be stuck in your ways- habits are hard to break, if some can even be broken at all. Those instilled for survival were nearly impossible to override, and that desperate need to push on, no matter the cost, could cause more damage in the end. He had secreted away in his satchel a bundle of herbs that would help to sedate the mare if it came to it. Just in case. He’d not said anything to Noor about his concerns, and he was very glad that he had chosen to remain silent. The Pangaea that was before him now was far different from the bestial mare that he had thrown free of his friend. 

He listened, attentive to her grim retelling, the story of her brother’s noble sacrifice. Gareth couldn’t even begin to fathom what that must have been like for her to experience. To only have each other in the entire world and then to be ripped so violently apart forever. She rearranged the chaotic locks of flaxen hair, tossing the bundle to her other shoulder and revealing a rather gruesome neck injury. He had seen the edges of it as they had been walking, but to have it fully displayed was another thing entirely. Even without her explanation he was able to tell that a wound of that caliber should have killed anyone. The fact that she had been able to tend to it herself, to live long enough to let it heal… It was a great feat of strength. Instinctively he craned his muzzle to touch it, to get a sense for how thick the scar tissue ran, how it had stitched the flesh together and made her whole once more. 

He stopped short, reminding himself that such a thing would be very sensitive. His nares twitched and he withdrew before he could encroach upon her space any further. Perhaps he would see if there were any salves he could devise to aide in softening scar tissue, to help smooth the knots of flesh and in turn maybe also heal a horrific memory. He would keep that in mind, if Pangaea chose to stay after her legs were healed. The stallion did not want to hope too much; one could not put their own expectations onto another, it would only lead to further heartbreak. 

The mare spoke of pack mates, of how disheartening it is to be alone in the world when you are destined to be with others of your kind. He supposed that was part of why it had been so unbelievable at first that he and Noor were companions. She had come from a world of black and white. 

Predator and prey. 

Us and them. 

The monsters and the innocents. Pangaea spoke of herself as a monster and Gareth’s face fell. Had those she’d already met here in Novus treated her so poorly? Did they gawk, and caw, and croon hurtful, distasteful words to her? Had they run in fear? Had his own kin fed into the idea that she was a boogeyman, some creature from a fairytale one told to children to keep them obedient? It pained him to see her speak about herself this way. No one should be made to resent themselves, reject themselves in this way. She couldn’t even meet his eye, and that troubled him as much as her words did. 

He extended his neck again, this time pressing his muzzle to her shoulder in a comforting gesture, breathing softly. She reassured him that she was not only a mindless predator. That she was far from a monster, that circumstances had been unfortunate and that is what had brought them together. She spoke the words to him, but these were things that he already knew the moment his anger had dissipated upon the plains. He listened, though, as she needed to say them, not so much for his benefit as perhaps it was for herself. To confirm in her heart that this string of events, these acts of unexpected violence, were not who she was at her core. 

“I think we met in the way the gods intended,” He spoke softly. His lips brushed her shoulder blade, just where her neck curved to her spine and her flight appendages began to grow.  “And I know you are so much more, Pangaea,” he whispered against her flesh.  If a stranger were to capture only this moment, they might have assumed the two were more like lovers than acquaintances. Gareth had that effect, unable to help himself from providing comfort, and blissfully unaware that his actions could be taken in any other measure than innocent and friendly. 

A harsh breeze blew through the mountain pass, bringing with it the first faint flakes of snow, and taking the moment along with it. The stallion righted himself and nodded. “Yes, let’s. I know of a cave further along, but it will be a while before we reach it.” He started moving more swiftly now, though he made sure to keep an eye on the mare’s pace so that he did not strain her already weary muscles. 

“The pass narrows at the ridge, and there are several places where you will need to follow my steps exactly. The trail is wide enough for you to step comfortably, but the last thing I want is for you to accidentally slip or cause a rock slide. It’ll take some concentrating, but I think we can make it before the snow becomes an issue.” And he knew that it would be an issue. He had been eyeing the sky regularly ever since the mare had brought the storm to his attention and the burden it carried had only increased as they continued to climb the mountain. Noor had been right to go on his own. It seemed that the Arma intended to keep them in her grips for as long as she could. 

He cleared his throat, taking cool air in through his nares, the whiskers at the ends of his muzzle beginning to form frost with each breath. “We can take shelter in the cave once we arrive. I have some supplies stored there that should make the stay bearable, if not comfortable, until the storm passes if we need them.” He did not want to think about why he had enough supplies to accommodate two for the winter season, the icy blow of betrayal still stung deep in his chest. He pushed the feelings down with a harsh snort as he cleared a relatively large boulder from the narrowing path, watching it tumble down out of sight. 

"Speech" |  @Pangaea |

Messages In This Thread
Don't threaten me with a good time - by Pangaea - 01-23-2022, 01:04 AM
RE: Don't threaten me with a good time - by Gareth - 01-26-2022, 11:57 PM